Sunday, July 15, 2012

Welcome!

The "Desert Born" are a faction on a group of role-play sims of Second Lifesomewhat modelled on the Fremen of Frank Herbert's Dune series - although not too closely, due to copyright issues - mixed with some features common to various indigenous cultures. For more information about the role-play of the sims as a whole, you can go to the Splintered Rock ning.

This blog is envisioned as a clearinghouse of sorts for the various pieces of role-play canon developed by the role-players of the Desert Born. I hope this will be of use! If you wish to email me regarding a post, or to make a suggestion, please do so at yazirasam (at) gmail (dot) com.

A note regarding cultural appropriation: I'm aware that to some I may be walking a very fine line here. I wish to note that I very carefully do not include any cultural specifics from any one culture - the features I include are known from various cultures and I have incorporated them at an underlying or schematic level. For example, clan systems like that of the Desert Born are known from various cultures, but I have incorporated only the format, not the specifics. I make this note because members of some indigenous cultures are rightfully angered by ongoing appropriation and misuse of private or sacred artifacts and practices by outsiders - see the Declaration of War Against Exploiters of Lakota Spirituality for an example - and I do not wish to be placed in that group.

No comments:

Post a Comment